Sunday, October 4, 2009

Kitchen Inspiration


"Country Kitchen" by artist Randy Souders

Sometimes my favorite inspiration for creating the Victorian home of my dreams comes from an artist's interpretation rather than any real-life scenario. This is true of the print I have hanging on my kitchen wall by Randy Souders entitled "Country Kitchen."

I would love to step inside that room! Although I know I would never go so far as purchasing a reproduction stove, so many things about this print have given me great ideas. I love the wood floor! There is a wood floor under the layers of linoleum and vinyl tiles that are now in place, so eventually that will happen. And I've found an old scale, coffee mill, and old food tins to set the scene. I probably won't get rid of my modern counter space or appliances, but I do have a freestanding kitchen cupboard filled with jars and cans of dried beans, pastas, flours, sugars, oatmeal, corn meal and other dried goods we regularly use. I love the beadboard wainscoting, and will probably add that to my kitchen as well.

The beadboard ceiling looks really nice, but it would be a fire hazard. I have my eye on some nice reproduction tin ceiling from Armstrong in a smaller tile size, since my ceilings are only 8-feet high.

Our house didn't have a kitchen or bathroom when it was originally built in 1873. It was a one room building, probably built by the first owner himself. According to the home inspector we hired when we bought the house (he is an expert on historic homes in the area), a second room was added not too long after the house was built.

It was never meant to be an elegant home, but a simple home for a working class settler. We consider ourselves to be the modern equivalent, so I try to stay away from any antiques or decorating styles that would not have been appropriate to the history of the house or the neighborhood. But it's hard not to dream big! And the Victorians did the same, adding cheaper versions of high style furnishings and architectural details to their homes whenever they had the chance. They wanted to show off their good taste and keep up with the Joneses as much as we do today!
Reproduction stoves from Elmira Stove Works

Armstrong Metallaire faux tin ceiling tiles

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home