Sunday, August 23, 2009

Sandwich Antiques Market


Today I went to the Sandwich Antiques Market in Sandwich, Illinois to look at the antiques. I didn't have anything in mind to buy. I was sad to see that there were considerably fewer dealers there than ever before. I talked to one dealer, who told me she thought a variety of factors were the cause of the antiques fairs getting smaller. One was, of course, eBay. Another factor was the economy. And then she said that she's noticed that the younger generation is just not as interested in these kinds of antiques.

I remember antiquing back in the 80's. It was really popular back then! There were antique stores everywhere, and the fairs were really crowded.

I didn't buy any antiques today, but I saw some great things. I have bought many things in recent years on eBay, when I knew exactly what I was looking for, and searched until I found it. It's easy to browse through thousands of things in a few hours at an antiques fair. It's not as easy on the internet. When you're at the fairs, you'll see things you would never have thought to look for while on the internet. And you can stop for an ice cream cone or a fresh-squeezed lemonade!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger The Victorian Parlor said...

Oh my goodness-that looks like it was a great fair! I remember the antiques popularity in the 80's and loved it! Deals were always found and antiques stores and fairs were abundant! I just love the hall tree in the first photo-it's lovely!

Blessings,

Kim

August 24, 2009 at 1:34 PM  
Blogger Pam of Eastlake Victorian said...

I love that hall tree, too! I wish I had a wall something like that could fit on, but my house is so full of doors and windows. Yes, antiquing in the 80's was the best. Really miss those days...

August 24, 2009 at 4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home