Saturday, August 15, 2009

Broken Leaf Design & Victorian Hardware


Look at the new outlet covers I got on eBay! One of my favorite designs for door hardware is called "Broken Leaf." You can see the pattern on the antique doorknobs in the background of my blog.

Since there were no outlet covers or switch plates back when this pattern was originally produced in the 1880's, I've been looking for years for some kind of appropriate substitute that would have the same Eastlake/Aesthetic/Victorian feel. When I saw these on eBay, I just had to buy them! Although they are made of cast resin and not brass or bronze, they were very affordable, so I can replace all my existing plates on the main floor of my house!

I think they look just fine the way they are, but I can always give them a quick brush of metallic finish in certain rooms if necessary. For now, I just got the outlet covers. Switch plates are next! The site that sells these and other period-appropriate hardware is American Antique Hardware.

For original Victorian hardware, nothing beats eBay for the best deals. Original complete door hardware sets that have been cleaned and restored are very costly, but can be found on many reputable sites. Here are some of my favorites, selling both antique and reproduction hardware:


Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger The Victorian Parlor said...

Oooo...thanks for the info! I am always looking for reproduction or antique hardware!

Blessings,

Kim

August 21, 2009 at 10:35 AM  
Blogger Rose ~Victorian Rose ~ said...

Marcie...I see that this is a very OLD post...but...
I just found this by Googling Antique Victorian Hardware ....thanks for the WHOLE list of places to look.

Glad you found these, and I can see where they WOULD work.

Rose

February 7, 2011 at 8:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home