Sunday, May 15, 2011

Fragrant Spring Blooms!

I so look forward to the weekends! But this weekend has been unseasonably cold and gloomy.

Lily-of-the-Valley 4

So I decided to bring a little bit of spring beauty indoors!

Lily-of-the-Valley 1

I love fragrance in the garden, and I love to bring it indoors whenever I can. Today, I picked some lily-of-the-valley. The fragrance has always been one of my favorites!

Lily-of-the-Valley 2

I love their little nodding heads!

Lily-of-the-Valley 3

The grape hyacinths are past their prime, but still have some buds left at the tops.

Grape Hyacinths 1

I thought they would look nice in this tiny blue 3-vase set!

Grape Hyacinths 3

Grape hyacinths really do smell like grapes!

Grape Hyacinths 4

Grape Hyacinths 2

I threw in some Siberian bugloss as well. No fragrance, but very airy and abundant in the garden.

Siberian Bugloss

And, of course, some lilacs!

Lilacs 1

The blue milk bottle vase looks prettier in the window!

Lilacs 2

There are two types of lilacs in our garden.

Lilacs 8

The lighter, bluish ones are from a woody, older lilac that was growing at the house when I moved in.

Lilacs 4

The more purply ones are from a Persian lilac I planted 17 years ago.

Lilacs 5

Lilacs don't last long in a vase, so I can only enjoy them for a day before I have to go out and pick more!


Lilacs 3

Lilacs are another one of my favorite scents!

Lilacs 7

I hope you're all enjoying the sights and smells of Spring!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Note that many of the most beautiful and fragrant flowers are poisonous to cats! We love our two kitties too much to leave these flowers anywhere that would pique their curiosity. Even dropped petals, if eaten, can be deadly. So please take precautions, and if you bring in any plants, don't take chances. Put them behind glass or in locked areas away from your kitties!

Here's a helpful list of plants that are poisonous to cats:


Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Pam Kessler said...

Wow, I never knew 99% of those plants were poisonous to kitties! Thanks for posting that. My cat tends to stay away from flowers, but you never know when he's going to get hungry or curious. I love the Lily of the Valley. They are one of my favorite flowers.

May 16, 2011 at 7:21 PM  
Blogger Pam of Eastlake Victorian said...

Hi Pam,

Yeah, I knew some of them, but I was surprised about Lily-of-the-valley too! Our 2 cats tend to nibble on plants when they want to get our attention (which usually works!). It would be tragic if I knew that I did something to cause them harm. :-(

-Pam

May 16, 2011 at 7:36 PM  
Blogger Katie@LeBeauPaonVictorien said...

Hi Pam,
I'm jealous you have lilacs already! We have buds on our one tiny little new lilac bush....I can hardly wait for blooms.
I love the photos of your lily in the valley with the lace curtain behind; so delicate, feminine and pretty! I bet it smells heavenly!

May 16, 2011 at 7:41 PM  
Blogger Pam of Eastlake Victorian said...

Hi Katie,

It smells great in the house with only a few little flowers here and there! Our lilacs just opened this weekend, so yours should be opening soon! Unless it's a Miss Kim or similar variety... those open a couple weeks later than other lilacs. :-)

-Pam

May 16, 2011 at 7:47 PM  
Blogger Rose ~Victorian Rose ~ said...

Great Idea....Lillacs are so very lovely to look at and the fragarance is even better !
I remember Lilly's of the Valley smelled really great too.
When we lived in Chicago...we had LOTS of each in our backyard.

Pam, I do not plan to steal your your background..but can you tell me where you got it, it is time for a NEW background for my blog...mine has been deleted apparently.
And I do love this style.
Hope you are good.

Rose

May 17, 2011 at 12:38 AM  
Blogger Pam of Eastlake Victorian said...

Hi Rose-

Thanks!

My blog background was something I did myself, and I messed around with the html code, so if you're not adept at that kind of thing, I wouldn't recommend it! But there are so many pretty Victorian-style backgrounds and some great sites for finding them!

Does anybody have any suggestions for Rose?

-Pam

May 17, 2011 at 11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home