Monday, January 9, 2012

Meet Junie

Junie Profile

Meet the latest addition to our family! This is Juniper Berry, aka Junie!

This past June, or sweet little Penny cat died, and we spent several months in mourning. Then, finally, my husband and I knew it was time to get another cat.

First Junie Photo
Junie is an odd-eyed white. She has one gold eye and one blue! This was her first photo at the shelter.

One day on my train ride home from work, I saw a post on Facebook showing a cute white cat that needed a home. I showed the post to Terry, and he agreed that her description sounded like just the kind of cat we wanted.

At the Shelter
Junie at the shelter. She really wanted to be adopted by someone!

We emailed the shelter, which specializes in rescuing cats and dogs over 5 years of age from kill shelters, and taking them into their no-kill facilities.

Me & Junie
Meeting Junie at the shelter.

We filled out the paperwork online, and went in for a visit.

Terry & Junie
Terry holding Junie at the shelter.

Needless to say, I fell in love with her right away! She was living at the shelter in the "cat room" where the cats roamed free, and was getting along with them very well. This is something we wanted in our next cat. She was very friendly and let anybody pick her up and cuddle her, and she purred up a storm!

Bedtime
Junie in her new home.

While the shelter took a few days to complete our background check, we went to visit her once more. And on December 22nd, we went in, signed the papers, and Junie was officially ours!

Warm Heat Vent
She likes to sit by the heat vents for warmth.

Pets!
Junie loves getting petted!

On our vet's recommendation, we isolated Junie upstairs, away from Phoebe, until we knew for sure that she hadn't contracted any diseases at the shelters she had been since August. Once she got the all-clear, it was time for Junie and Phoebe to meet!

Shoebox Showdown
Meeting Phoebe. They stared at each other from their shoeboxes.

Well, at first, Phoebe did a lot of growling and some hissing. She will not let Junie get too close! But both cats seem fascinated with one another. We have to watch their interactions carefully, and have kept their visits to only a couple times a day at first. We've also let both cats smell where the other cat sleeps and eats. I'm hoping, in time, they will become good friends.

Under the Tree
Junie and Phoebe having a meeting under the Christmas tree.

Junie is our little Christmas Cat, and we look forward to new cat adventures in 2012!

Sunning Herself
She loves a sunny window!





Labels: ,

27 Comments:

Blogger Ashley said...

Congratulations on the new addition! She's lovely. :)

January 10, 2012 at 2:57 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

She is beautiful! I love cats but became allergic to them so I cannot have them any longer.

January 10, 2012 at 3:01 PM  
Blogger Anyes K. Busby - Studio Vignette Fine Art said...

Congratulations Pam,
What a beauty! Junie is one lucky girl to have been adopted by you and Terry. It may take a little while for Pheobe to come around, but I'm sure she will, sooner or later. You made my day.
Anyes
XX

January 10, 2012 at 3:58 PM  
Blogger meralhobiart said...

Hi ...
What genus white cat.

January 10, 2012 at 5:54 PM  
Blogger victorian parlor II said...

Congratulations!!! She is beautiful (Kramer thinks so too:). I'm glad to see you back in blogland. I've missed everyone so I decided to visit my favorite people and say hello. I still have much to do but wanted to visit my bloggy buddies. The name of my book is 'Truer Words." I will post the release date as soon as I get it:).

Blessings,

Kim

January 10, 2012 at 6:29 PM  
Blogger Pam of Eastlake Victorian said...

Thank you, Ashley! :-)

-Pam

January 10, 2012 at 10:29 PM  
Blogger Pam of Eastlake Victorian said...

Hi, Elizabeth-

Oh, that's sad you are now allergic to cats. My brother loves cats but his wide is allergic, so he can't have any, either. It's a pretty common allergy!

-Pam

January 10, 2012 at 10:32 PM  
Blogger Pam of Eastlake Victorian said...

Hi Anyes-

Thank you so much, and thank you again for your kind comments on my last post. I think we're kindred spirits when it comes to animals. :-)

-Pam

January 10, 2012 at 10:38 PM  
Blogger Pam of Eastlake Victorian said...

Hi Meral-

We don't know what kind of cat Junie is. She might be part Persian because of the long fur, but she doesn't have a flat nose. We just think she's pretty!

-Pam

January 10, 2012 at 10:40 PM  
Blogger Pam of Eastlake Victorian said...

Hi Kim-

It's so good to hear from you! I've been thinking about you, and how your new book is coming out. A few of my friends have new books just out, so I know how time consuming it is. I'll make sure I mention it on this blog, and to my frineds. Congrats again! And hi to Kramer! :-)

-Pam

January 10, 2012 at 10:43 PM  
Blogger Shortbread and Ginger said...

What a beautiful cat - she is just lovely!
Liz @ Shortbread & Ginger

January 11, 2012 at 2:32 AM  
Blogger Pam of Eastlake Victorian said...

Thank you, Liz!

-Pam

January 11, 2012 at 7:54 AM  
Blogger Richard Cottrell said...

What a beauty. Congradulations. Richard from My Old Historic House.

January 11, 2012 at 11:45 AM  
Blogger Pam of Eastlake Victorian said...

Thanks, Richard!

-Pam

January 11, 2012 at 1:39 PM  
Blogger Miss Sandra said...

Dear Pam,
Congratulations to you and Terry! Junie is absolutely adorable..and so beautiful! She is also one lucky kitty to have been adopted by you. No doubt she and Phoebe will come to love one another and be the best of pals!
Wishing you, Terry, and the fur babies a most wonderful, healthy, and blissful new year! xo
Sandra

January 11, 2012 at 3:04 PM  
Blogger meralhobiart said...

Hi ...
I am living in Turkey, Van cats have a special country to the city of Van's. This is because cats are already protected as endangered. A cat that looks a lot like sex. This value is given to cats in my country too. The most important feature is the color of his eyes separately. Most of them are white and very attached to their owners.

Bird of my country, in Ankara Angora cat named genus there is a cat. In this cat-eyed and white and color. The most important feature is that the deaf ears of these cats. Because of this feature is divided into the Van cat.

Greetings from Istanbul ...

January 11, 2012 at 6:23 PM  
Blogger Pam of Eastlake Victorian said...

Hi Miss Sandra-

Thank you! We think she's beautiful, too! We're really hoping Phoebe and Junie become great friends... we'll see!
It will be an interesting new year, that's for sure. :-)

-Pam

January 11, 2012 at 6:31 PM  
Blogger Pam of Eastlake Victorian said...

Hi Meral -

Yes, maybe our cat is part Turkish Van or Angora! Those are very pretty long-haired cats. Junie is not deaf. We tested her hearing, and she seems to hear very well out of both ears. I know some white cats with one or more blue eyes is deaf. Thank you for the information! :-)

-Pam

January 11, 2012 at 6:35 PM  
Blogger meralhobiart said...

Hi...

But generally do not like to swim in the water from each cat. And willingly enter the water without fear of floating property of Van cats is the only type of cat.

January 15, 2012 at 5:42 PM  
Blogger meralhobiart said...

http://blog2.jhmeyer.net/2009/05/23/caucasian-journey-xv-wrapping-things-up-in-van.aspx

About the Van cat.

January 15, 2012 at 5:49 PM  
Blogger Pam of Eastlake Victorian said...

Hi Meral-

That is very interesting information about the Van cats! I never saw a cat swim. Maybe we can put our cat in the bathtub to see if she likes to swim, then we might find out if she is a Van! :-)

-Pam

January 16, 2012 at 8:12 PM  
Blogger Mrs. D said...

Hi Pam,

Your little kitty pals are amazing, and you captured them in photo so well. I enjoyed each photo, as it was met with an audible, ooooooo and ahhhhhh.

Been thinking about you. How are you doing since the sinus infection? Better I hope.

I love, love the Christmas cards you mailed out to friends. Do you have an additional leftover card? I so much would like to add it to my collection.

I thought your Christmas card was stunning . . . reminded me of skating on the old pond when I was a kid.

Looking forward to your next post.

Mrs. D
1893victorianfarmhouse

January 20, 2012 at 8:07 AM  
Blogger Pam of Eastlake Victorian said...

Hi Mrs. D!

I'm feeling 100% better, thank you! Spending time getting to know our new cat. Thank you for your compliments!

I would love to send you one of the ice skate cards. I didn't see a contact email in your profile, so just email me through mine and let me know your address and I'll send one off to you!

I am just loving the construction of your new building and art studio. It must be so exciting for you! I bet you're really looking forward to opening day. :-)

-Pam

January 23, 2012 at 7:59 AM  
Blogger La Petite Gallery said...

Congrats, on the new family member. What a lucky cat she is. Beautiful too.
Loved the photo's, I see a real love affair going on..
yvonne

January 24, 2012 at 5:22 AM  
Blogger Pam of Eastlake Victorian said...

Hi Yvonne-

Thank you! She's from a no kill shelter, which I reccommend for you when searching for a new dog. Make sure they will take the dog back for any reason. That will put your worries to rest!

-Pam

January 24, 2012 at 7:10 AM  
Blogger Pam Kessler said...

How did I miss Junie! She's so sweet looking. Love that she likes to hang out by the heating vents.

February 16, 2012 at 7:36 AM  
Blogger Pam of Eastlake Victorian said...

Hi Pam-

Yes, she's turning out to be quite a character, lol! She's going to love when the weather turns nice and we can open the windows. I think she'll be lounging in the sun all day!

-Pam

February 18, 2012 at 8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home