Saturday, December 4, 2010

Interior Lighting

Mica Lamp

Last month, Linda over at 1893 Victorian Farmhouse did a post on her favorite things. She has a gorgeous home and has spent the last few years restoring it. I love her taste in almost everything, and noticed she has a lovely collection of lamps, most in the Tiffany style.

I love lamps, too! I have to stop myself whenever I see one I want, because we already have too many. I like the way rooms look when small lamps are used.

This table lamp, above, is an imitation mica lamp. I have always used it on my "cat table" in the parlor. This small gateleg table was in my father's home when he was a boy. I keep photos of my cats, past and present, on this table, along with my Bastet (the Egyptian cat goddess) statues.


In the same room we have this floor lamp. It's great to read by, and helps my African violets grow and bloom with extra light at the same time!

Parlor Lamp


And on the piano, we have a sweet accent lamp given to us as a wedding gift. There are three dolphins holding up the globe and it gives off a soft, amber light.

Dolphin Lamp


In another corner of the parlor I have an Eastlake table topped by this cherub lamp. I found it at an antique fair several years back and I just love it! I like that it has a light in the base as well.

Cherub Lamp


My husband and I also love lithophane night lights and lamps. This one, a fairy gazing at the moon, is on our kitchen wall.

Kitchen Lithophane


And this lithophane lamp is on one end of our kitchen counter.

Kitchen Counter Lithophane


This is our new light fixture on the kitchen ceiling. I couldn't stand the fluorescent light that was up there all these years, and I looked high and low until I found this one. I really like the etching on the shade. We like to have all our overhead light on dimmer switches. I usually have them turned down low, if at all.

Kitchen Light


This is my bedside reading lamp.

Bedside Lamp


In the room we call the "library" (my future plans call for built-in bookcases), I have this chandelier over a center table. We have no dining room, but on occasion, have replaced our center table with a larger table to entertain. I always wanted a chandelier, and it was one of the first things I had put in when I bought the house, replacing the ugly ceiling fan that was there. It's not large or expensive, but I love it!

Library Chandelier


In the same room is our sideboard, where I keep the china, glassware and table linens. This beautiful Art Nouveau-style lamp sits on the sideboard.

Sideboard Lamp


The floor lamp below is rarely used. It stands in the corner near my ficus tree and Boston fern.

Library Lamp


In the bathroom, we use this lithophane night light.

Bathroom Lithophane


And on the wash stand I have this figural lamp. It reminds me of the newel post lamps on grand Victorian stairways. Alas, I have no exposed stairway, so this will have to do.

Bathroom Lamp


Well, that concludes the tour of the many lamps of Eastlake Victorian. It's hard to take good photos of lamps when they're turned on (especially at night when I had no sunlight to help out)!

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

Blogger victorian parlor II said...

Wow! Your lamps are gorgeous! I really like the crystal chandelier and the kitchen light. I too love lamps and have a tendency to have to say no to myself or I would have lamps all over the place:). I also tend to bring home chairs and small tables!

Blessings,

Kim

December 5, 2010 at 10:14 AM  
Blogger Pam of Eastlake Victorian said...

Hi Kim-

Thank you! Ooh, chairs and small tables too... we are very much alike, aren't we?! It literally took me years to find a light for the kitchen ceiling, and I'll go with nothing rather than purchasing something that is not the right fit. I think it's very difficult to decorate a house from the 1870's in an authentic way on a limited budget, and get just the right look. But I'm getting there, slowly but surely! :-)

-Pam

December 5, 2010 at 11:52 AM  
Blogger Romeo said...

Ah, someone else with a weakness for lamps. Lamps are good. Yessiree....on a cold winter day nothing warms better than a lamp on a table. Well unless of course there is a lap nearby WITH a floor lamp shining down.....

Purrs!

Romeo

December 5, 2010 at 8:08 PM  
Blogger Pam of Eastlake Victorian said...

Romeo-

You are my kinda cat! :-)

-Pam

December 5, 2010 at 11:00 PM  
Blogger La Petite Gallery said...

Beautiful lamps I love the top one and that Cameo lite is wonderful.

yvonne

December 9, 2010 at 2:46 PM  
Blogger Mrs. D said...

Dear friend Pam,

Oooo, I love your lamps--everyone of them so beautiful, perfectly fitting your elegant decor.

Looking forward to seeing your next posts--and your home decorated for Christmas. I hope you'll share more photos.

Yes, I agree--the best interior photographs are those taken in the evening. It is tough to make daylight cooperate.

Each photo you took makes me want to walk right through them into your home. Thanks for sharing those quiet, stunning photos.

Merry Christmas,

P.S. just finished reading Fannie Farmer's Last Supper. Would you like to read it? I'll loan you my copy. Let me know.

Mrs. D
1893 Victorian Farmhouse

December 11, 2010 at 7:17 AM  
Blogger Pam of Eastlake Victorian said...

Thank you, Yvonne!

-Pam

December 11, 2010 at 8:58 PM  
Blogger Pam of Eastlake Victorian said...

Mrs. D-

You are so sweet! I really enjoy reading your blog and seeing how you've researched the history of your home's former owners. Your taste in old home decorating, and your painting and artistic talent leaves me speechless!

Christmas is only two weeks away and we will probably be putting our tree and decorations up tomorrow.

Fannie Farmer's Last Supper... sounds like an interesting book! Those Victorians sure put together some very fancy meals! Thank you for the offer, but I'll probably check it out at the bookstore (I spend hours in book stores, often reading entire books there!).

May you and your family have a very Merry Christmas, and here's hoping 2011 brings you much happiness and success in your new art studio!

-Pam

December 11, 2010 at 9:28 PM  
Blogger Dana and Daisy said...

Pam! You have some really beautiful examples of Victorian lampage! Is lampage a word? I think Daisy made it up!

December 11, 2010 at 10:12 PM  
Blogger Pam of Eastlake Victorian said...

Hi Dana & Daisy-

Thank you! I love it... Lampage. I will try to incorporate that one into my vocabulary. Our cats make up new words all the time. Very clever little creatures, those cats. :-)

Merry Christmas!

Pam

December 12, 2010 at 10:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pam I was recently introduced to your Blog. I am a Victorian freak as well. I just started a new Blog. I would really appreciate if you would drop by and see it. Merry Christmas, and Happy Blogging. Richard. myoldhistorichouse.blogspot.com

December 21, 2010 at 9:27 AM  
Blogger Pam of Eastlake Victorian said...

Hi Richard-

I have visited your blog and joined as a follower. What a fantastic old house you have! And what great Victorian furniture and items! I look forward to visiting often.

-Pam

January 25, 2011 at 11:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed seeing all your beautiful lighting especially the cherub lamp! I bought the top globe like this one on your lamp over 10 years ago but never have seen what the bottom of the lamp would have looked like! It was neat seeing it in it's original condition.

bee blessed
mary

April 12, 2011 at 10:46 PM  
Blogger Pam of Eastlake Victorian said...

Hi Mary Ellen-

Welcome! I'm glad you solved the mystery of your cherub lamp! I fell in love with this lamp when I saw it. There was a matching one, but I could only afford one. I like how the cherub faces look when the lamp is on! :-)

-Pam

April 12, 2011 at 11:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home